Kirchen-Zeitung 1864 S. ), with (von Lengerke), among the saints (Hupf., Thenius), would be a preposition most liable to be misapprehended, and makes Psalm 16:3 a cumbersome appendage of Psalm 16:2. 11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. The purpose of this study is simply to look at one of those passages, namely, the use of Psalm 16:8-11 in Acts 2:25-28 and attempt to articulate how Peter is handling the psalm.1 First, the paper will discuss the meaning of the psalm in its OT context. I have set the Lord always before me — I have always presented him to my mind as my witness and judge, as my patron and protector, in the discharge of my office, and in all my actions. Psalm 16A miktam#Title: Probably a literary or musical term of David. To have one at our right hand is to have one near us who can defend us. Browse Sermons on Psalm 16:8. Psalm 16:8 - How To Keep Jesus At Your Right Hand. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. which is elsewhere detached and placed at the beginning of a sentence, and this l of reference (Ew. Prayer. "My flesh also shall rest in hope.". In all that our Lord did, said, or suffered, he kept the glory of the Father and … Psalms 16:7 : Psalms 16:9 >> The Berean: Daily Verse and Comment Sign up for the Berean: Daily Verse and Comment, and have Biblical truth delivered to your inbox. Psalm 16 - [[Michtam of David.]] ~ Psalm 16:8 ESV ~ ... Use a Study Bible or single volume commentary. Psalm 139 Commentary: God’s Pervasive Presence, Intimate Knowledge, and Faithful Comfort. His spiritual vision pierces through the outward form of the servant. Verse 8. In all that our Lord did, said, or suffered, he kept the glory of the Father and … “With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.”The Word tells us in Psalm 61:3, ” For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”Also we see his strength in our lives in Psalm 28:7 “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. By the power of God at his right hand he foresaw that he should smite through all who rose up against him, and on that power he placed the firmest reliance. (g) The faithful are sure to persevere to the end. He will be unto thee a mighty pillar, bearing up heaven and earth, whereto you may lean and not be deceived, wherein you may trust and not be disappointed. Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge. Whole Psalm. 2 I say to the LORD,. Keep me safe, my God,for in you I take refuge. 1 of 1. 5 The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot. The apostle translates it, "I foresaw the Lord always before my face." Acts 2:25, etc.. Psalm 16:8 - How To Keep Jesus At Your Right Hand. And still in connection with the reading ואדירי, both the formation of the sentence which, beginning with ל, leads one to expect an apodosis, and the relation of Psalm 16:3 to Psalm 16:2, according to which the central point of the declaration must lie just within כל־חפצי־בם, are opposed to this rendering of the words ואדירי כל־חפצי־כם. I have set the Lord ALWAYS before me. suffices to remove its difficulties, and that in a way quite in accordance with the connection. Mark Dunagan Commentary on the Bible. Most scholars consider this to be a Song of Confidence or Trust like Psalm 23, yet it begins with a very lament-like plea for help in verse 1. Good music for the living tongue. they are noble, in whom is all my delight. Psalm 16:8-11 in Acts 2:25-28 Verse 8. Christ being raised from the dead ascended into glory, to dwell in constant nearness to God, where joy is at its full for ever: the foresight of this urged him onward in his glorious but grievous toil. See Psalm 10:6; Psalm 15:5. Such is his confession to Jahve. It also occurs in Psalms 56-60. 310, a) is really common to every style (Numbers 18:8; Isaiah 32:1; Ecclesiastes 9:4); whereas the ל understood of the fellowship in which he stands when thus making confession to Jahve: associating myself with the saints (Hengst. The Timeless Psalms: Psalm 16, Joan Stott, prayers and meditations based on lectionary Psalms, 2015. The psalmist has sought refuge in Yahweh his sovereign Lord, and supreme welfare (v. 1-2); whose good pleasure is in His saints (v. 3). I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Acts 2:25, etc. O God, when the worldling's mirth has all expired, for ever with Jesus may we dwell "at thy right hand," where "there are pleasures for evermore;" and meanwhile, may we have an earnest by tasting thy love below. Trapp's note on the heavenly verse which closes the Psalm is a sweet morsel, which may serve for a contemplation, and yield a foretaste of our inheritance. Now, secondly, notice how, if so, life hereafter will be our presence with God, to make us glad. Psalm 16:8 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Psalm 16:8, NIV: "I keep my eyes always on the LORD.With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." By the power of God at his right hand he foresaw that he should smite through all who rose up against him, and on that power he placed the firmest reliance. 1 A michtam of David; O God, guard me for I have taken refuge in You. Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge. Verse 30 *Jews knew … II. I. Most scholars consider this to be a Song of Confidence or Trust like Psalm 23, yet it begins with a very lament-like plea for help in verse 1. Wretched will that man be who, when the Philistines of death invade his soul, shall find that, like Saul, he is forsaken of God; but blessed is he who has the Lord at his right hand, for he shall fear no ill, but shall look forward to an eternity of bliss. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. Thus, in Psalm 109:31, "He shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him," etc. I have set the Lord always before me. Psalm 16 is a very problematic psalm, and for a gaggle of reasons: 1. Like as the gnomon doth ever behold the north star, whether it be closed and shut up in a coffer of gold, silver, or wood, never losing its nature; so a faithful Christian man, whether he abound in wealth or be pinched with poverty, whether he be of high or low degree in this world, ought continually to have his faith and hope surely built and grounded upon Christ, and to have his heart and mind fast fixed and settled in him, and to follow him through thick and thin, through fire and water, through wars and peace, through hunger and cold, through friends and foes, through a thousand perils and dangers, through the surges and waves of envy, malice, hatred, evil speeches, railing sentences, contempt of the world, flesh, and devil, and even in death itself, be it never so bitter, cruel, and tyrannical, yet never to lose sight and view of Christ, never to give over faith, hope, and trust in him. All rights reserved. they are noble, in whom is all my delight. Study the bible online using commentary on Psalm 16:8 and more! 1. 6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. So they brought the ark of God, and set it in the midst of the tabernacle that David had erected for it. Experience confirmeth this in children, who in any imminent danger shroud and shelter themselves under their father's arms or hands, as under a sufficient buckler. The saints, and they only, are the excellent to him. By both these interpretations, ל would be the exponent of the nom. For true grace well planted in the heart, how weak soever, shall hold out for ever. The fear of death at one time cast its dark shadow over the soul of the Redeemer, and we read that, "he was heard in that he feared." Joseph Caryl. 10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Acts 2:25 . This psalm is titled A Michtam of David. In vv. sing., from which then came פּלתּי and later still פּלתּי, is untenable according to the history of the language.). Family prayer time. As we travel along our spiritual journey with Christ, we gain knowledge of the truth and grow in our faith. Clarke's Psalms 16:8 Bible Commentary I have set the Lord always before me - This verse, and all to the end of Psalm 16:11, are applied by St. Peter to the death and resurreetion of Christ. 2 Kings 18:20, אמרת now pointed אמרת, with Isaiah 36:5) has its occasion at least in some such cutting away of the i, peculiar to the language of the common people; although, if David wrote it so, אמרת is not intended to be read otherwise than it is in Psalm 31:15; Psalm 140:7. Verse 8. Robert Cawdray. Psalm 16 is the 16th psalm from the Book of Psalms.. Charles and Emilie Briggs summarized its contents as follows: "Ps[alm] 16 is a psalm of faith. 8. Psalm 16 is the prayer of one who has devoted herself entirely to God’s care.1 The prayer of devotion begins with a petition for protection and a confession of dependence on God (verses 1-2). Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge. This is because the Jews had two translations of the Bible. John Trapp. But if l be taken as the Lamed of reference then the elliptical construct ואדּירי, to which הארץ ought to be supplied, remains a stumbling-block not to be easily set aside. Oh for such holy faith in the prospect of trial and of death! The language here is that of one who has confidence in God in time of great calamities, and who feels that he is safe under the divine favor and protection. One was in Hebrew and the other was in Greek. Christ's resurrection is the cause, the earnest, the guarantee, and the emblem of the rising of all his people. He that by faith eyes God continually as his protector in trouble shall not be moved with any evil that he suffers, and he that eyes God by faith as his pattern in holiness, shall not be moved from doing that which is good. In connection with this rendering of the על, the בּל (poetic, and contracted from בּלי), which is unknown to the literature before David's time, presents no difficulty. It is said of Enoch, that "he walked with God" ( Genesis 5:22 ), and though the history of his life be very short, yet it is said of him a second time ( Genesis 5:24 ), that "he walked with God." So also here: "my good, i.e., whatever makes me truly happy, is not above Thee," i.e., in addition to Thee, beside Thee; according to the sense it is equivalent to out of Thee or without Thee (as the Targ., Symm., and Jerome render it), Thou alone, without exception, art my good. Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Psalm 16:8. The psalmist knows no fountain of true happiness but Jahve, in Him he possesses all, his treasure is in Heaven. Into the outer prison of the grave his body might go, but into the inner prison of corruption he could not enter. Commentary, Psalm 16, J Clinton McCann, Preaching This … August 20th November 26th. Notice the difference in translations: 1- The NIV Bible says "Because he (GOD) is at my right hand" while the original Hebrew says "Because -- at my right hand I am not moved" We clearly see here that GOD Almighty is not sitting on his Prophet's right hand. Verse 29 The *prophecy cannot be about David, because David died. The sense here is, that the psalmist felt that God, as his Protector, was always near him; always ready to interpose for his defense. of The thought thus obtained, is the thought one expected (love to God and love to His saints), and the one which one is also obliged to wring from the text as we have it, either by translating with De Welte, Maurer, Dietrich and others: "the saints who are in the land, they are the excellent in whom I have all my delight," - a Waw apodoseos, with which one could only be satisfied if it were והמּה (cf. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. The emphasis lies expressly on the "my." You'll get this book and many others when you join Bible … Click a verse to see commentary Select a resource above Psalm 16 Song of Trust and Security in God. you are my Lord, you are my only good. His whole delight is centred in them, all his respect and affection is given to them. Verse 8. This is part of the story of the start of the Church. Psalm 16:8 - How To Keep Jesus At Your Right Hand. A Miktam of David. Psalm 10:6, 16:8, 30:6 One Saying from Three Men; Psalm 16:5, 6 Man’s True Treasure in God; Psalm 16:8, 11 God with Us, and We with God; Psalm 17:15, 73:20 The Two Awakings; Psalm 19:12 Secret Faults; Psalm 19:13 Open Sins; Psalm 22:26 Feasting on the Sacrifice; Psalm 23:1-6 The Shepherd King of Israel; Psalm 24:3 A Great Question and Its Answer We know this because both Peter and Paul quote from Psalm 16 and apply it to the Lord Jesus (see Acts 2.25-28, 36; 13.35-39). Alternate Study Methods/Plans. David was a man after God's own heart and many of the psalms he penned foretold of Jesus.. the coming Messiah, Who would rise from the dead, ascend into heaven and sit at the right hand of the majesty on high, until God finally placed all His enemies under His feet. Here, you can find book-by-book, chapter-by-chapter, and verse-by-verse commentary on the entire Bible (eventually). This phrase of speech is borrowed from those who, when they take upon them the patronage, defence, or tuition of any, will set them on their right hand, as in place of most safeguard. Because he is at my right hand, etc. This psalm is titled A Contemplation of Asaph.The author Asaph was the great singer and musician of David and Solomon’s era (1 Chronicles 15:17-19, 16:5-7; 2 Chronicles 29:13). Praise God for all things . My glory rejoiceth. Psalm 16:8 is a Bible verse from the New Testament where King David is grounding himself in the way of the Lord, and keeping God first in his life. Psalm 16:11. The text of the next two verses (so it appears) needs to be improved in two respects. Thus, therefore, we come back to the above easy improvement of the text. Psalm 16:8 in all English translations Bible Gateway Recommends NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture Psalm 16:8, ESV: "I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken." You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:8. The Story and Meaning of Acts 2:22-32. Hebrew, I have equally set, or proposed. (1-3) David gives the assembly a feast. For, as the second clause of the confession says: Jahve, who is his Lord, is also his benefactor, yea even his highest good. His verdict is like the verdict of God, who is his all in all. God speaks to us through each of them. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Verse 8. John Ball. absol. Verse 8-9. Acts 16:8 "and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas" "Having found the southwesterly and northerly roads obstructed, the only direction left open to them was north-west. 107.). My flesh also, etc. Psalm 78 – Learning from God’s Faithfulness to His Rebellious People. He is our strength. Try it for 30 days FREE. Since the suffix of אדני (properly domini mei equals domine mi, Genesis 18:3, cf. Study Psalm 16 using Matthew Henry’s Bible Commentary (concise) to better understand Scripture with full outline and verse meaning. Psalm 16:8(NASB) Verse Thoughts David was a man after God's own heart and many of the psalms he penned foretold of Jesus.. the coming Messiah, Who would rise from the dead, ascend into heaven and sit at the right hand of the majesty on high, until God finally placed all His enemies under His feet. Thomas Brooks. We do not know what the word “Mikhtam” in the title means. Booklets; 12 Lesson Bible Study Course; Bible Questions and Answers; Bible Study Series; Teen Bible Study Guides; Bible Commentary; Study by Topic; Blogs. Breaking Free; BT Daily; This Is The Way; App; Beyond Today Interviews 9. He walked so much with God that he walked as God: he did not "walk" (which kind of walking the apostle reproves, 1 Corinthians 3:3 ), "as men." This psalm begins with expressions of devotion, which may be applied to Christ; but ends with such confidence of a resurrection, as must be applied to … I have set the LORD always before me: because, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. Psalm 16:9. Bible Commentary / Produced by TOW Project The Theology of Work Bible Commentary is an in-depth Bible study tool put together by a group of 138 biblical scholars, pastors and working Christians. Psalm 16 is a very problematic psalm, and for a gaggle of reasons: 1. 116, 3). Verse 8. Asbury Bible Commentary – H. The Empty Tomb (15:42-16:8) Resources » Asbury Bible Commentary » H. The Empty Tomb (15 :42-16:8) H ... An integrated digital Bible study library - including complete notes from the Believer's Bible Commentary and the Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible (NIV and NRSV) - is just a step away! JOSEPH A ALEXANDER Psalms Commentary (1864) Spurgeon had high praise for Alexander's work writing that it "Occupies a first place among expositions. ), cf. He is immutable, always one and everlasting. (Note: Pinsker's view (Einleit. Recent scholarship, helpfully, sees this “plea” as a devout desire for continuing protection … Continue reading "Commentary on Psalm 16" Bible Commentary. 2. As in Proverbs 23:7 it is short for בּל־תּהיה. The most useful method would be to go to the section of Scripture that you are interested in, and selecting the button for a complete list of all commentaries and resources related to that Scripture. It rests upon a misconception of the defective form of writing, אמרתּ (Ges. Chapter 16. Tehillim - Psalms - Chapter 16 « Previous Chapter 15. It is ordained of God for the sanctified (cf. It is a clear and judicious explanation of the text, and cannot be dispensed with. Learn more. To bring his chosen to eternal happiness was the high ambition which inspired him, and made him wade through a sea of blood. Bible Study Tools. Ps. Romans 8:30), whose moral nobility is now for the present veiled under the menial form of the עני; and in the eyes of David they already possess it. The present Psalm is connected in thought and language with the foregoing, and linked on to the following Psalm by catchwords. Genesis 9:3; Ezekiel 12:10); it is clear, in what sense אדירי alternates with קדושׁים, since it is not those who are accounted by the world as אדיריס on account of their worldly power and possessions (Psalm 136:18, 2 Chronicles 23:20), but the holy, prized by him as being also glorious, partakers of higher glory and worthy of higher honour; and moreover, this corrected arrangement of the verse harmonises with the Michtam character of the Psalm. I shall not be moved. (Note: The Masora observes גרשין בספרא ב, i.e., twice in the Psalter שׁמרה is in the imperative, the o being displaced by Gaja (Metheg) and changed into aa, vid., Baer, Torath Emeth p. 22f. In Psalm 16, I believe the emotion that David is expressing is this: Satisfaction with God. Isaiah 26:8 . Easter is a point on … I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. And this was one of those lessons that his reins had taught him, that the Holy Spirit had dictated unto him. The Story and Meaning of Acts 2:22-32. 7 Then on that day David first appointed the singing of praises to the L ord by Asaph and his kindred. Psalms 16:8 Context. He felt that, thus sustained, he could never be driven from his life's grand design; nor was he, for he stayed not his hand till he could say, "It is finished." 16:1): Of David, who was poor (מך) and perfect (ותם), whose wound (מכתו) was perfect (תמה), for he was born circumcised. Psalms 16:8 Context. Let them, therefore, go to their graves as to their beds, resting their flesh among the clods as they now do upon their couches. And when we are sorest assaulted he is ever ready at our right hand to support and stay us that we shall not fall. Psalm 16 – The Benefits of a Life-Commitment to God. Acts 2:25, etc.. He writes, "Here is as much said as can be, but words are too weak to utter it. Heaven's joys are without measure, mixture, or end.". Acts 2:25-28 is a bit different from Psalm 16:8-11. Some suggested prayer topics . One was in Hebrew and the other was in Greek. The idea is, that as we use the right hand in our "own" defense, we seem to have an additional and a needed helper when one is at our right hand. Psalm 16 Commentary: Introduction Let’s turn to Psalm 16 for this Psalm 16 commentary. I have set the Lord always before me - This verse, and all to the end of Psalm 16:11, are applied by St. Peter to the death and resurreetion of Christ. He hath well begun, and shall happily go forward in his work, who hath in truth begun. O give thanks to the L ord, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples. Good hope for the dying body. The use of the Old Testament in the New is an intriguing area of study including detailed research on scores of explicit citations as well as allusions in an attempt to understand how the NT writers understood and used the Old Testament. We have a somewhat similar expression when we say of anyone that he is "at hand;" that is, he is near us. S. 100-102), who considers פּעלתּ to have sprung from פּללת as the primary form of the 1 pers. Now it is clear, that לקדושׁים, as has been supposed by some, is the dative governed by אמרתּי, the influence of which is thus carried forward; it is clear what is meant by the addition אשׁר בארץ, which distinguishes the object of his affection here below from the One above, who is incomparably the highest; it is clear, as to what המּה defines, whereas otherwise this purely descriptive relative clause אשׁר בּארץ המּה (which von Ortenberg transposes into אשׁר ארצה בהמּה) appears to be useless and surprises one both on account of its redundancy (since המה is superfluous, cf. HIS REFUGE IN LIFE (16:1-8) A. God speaks to us through each of them. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. 6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. He walked so little like the world, that his stay was little in the world. JOHN 16:1-7 COMMENTARY John 16:8-12 Convict the World of Sin John 16:13-15 Spirit of Truth John 16:16-23 A Little While John 16:24-27 Ask and You Shall Receive John 16:28-33 Leave the World John 16 Bible Study Questions (Handout) A meditating soul is in proxima potentia to prayer. Psalm 16:8 says, “I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.” Because his refuge, his treasure, his sovereign, his counselor is always before him, and at this right hand, therefore, he says, “I will not be shaken.” Which … --Christopher Wordsworth, D.D., 1868. is the response to Thou shalt have no other gods beside Me (על־פּני)." 1 a A miktam * of David.. Verse 8. However, we do not feel this is the best method for using the Blue Letter Bible. I have set the Lord always before me, etc. It is entitled in the Syriac and Arabic versions, a Psalm on the Election of the Church, and on the Resurrection of Christ." He felt that thus sustained, he could never be driven from his life's grand design; nor was he, for he stayed not his hand till he could say, "It is finished." 7 I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. I keep my eyes always on the LORD. In spite of this the grammarians are not agreed as to the pronunciation of the imperative and infinitive forms when so pointed. Both Peter and Paul (Acts 2:25-28; 13:35-37) affirm that David wrote this psalm (as the title indicates). I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” I say of the holy people who are in the land, “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.” Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more. Verse 8. 2 I say to the LORD,. 3 As for the holy ones who are in the land,. For quality there is in heaven joy and pleasures; for quantity, a fulness, a torrent whereat they drink without let or loathing; for constancy, it is at God's right hand, who is stronger than all, neither can any take us out of his hand; it is a constant happiness without intermission: and for perpetuity it is for evermore. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. 8 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Hitherto David seems to have spoken with respect to himself, but now he is transported by the spirit of prophecy, and carried above himself, to speak as a type of Christ, in whom this and the following verses were truly accomplished. 3 As for the holy ones who are in the land,. 2 Kings 21:1). That’s … In vv. If thou wilt bend thyself to obedience, and to a virtuous and godly life, thou shalt ever have him a strong rock, whereupon you may boldly build a castle and tower of defence. because he is at my right hand: to counsel and instruct, to help, protect, and defend: the phrase is expressive of the nearness of God to Christ, his presence with him, and readiness to assist and stand by him against all his enemies; see Psalm 109:31; so the Targum paraphrases it, "because his Shechinah rests upon me"; I shall not be moved: as he was not from his place and nation, from the duty of his office, and the execution of it, by all the threats and menaces of men; nor from the fear, worship, and service of God, by all the temptations of Satan; nor from the cause of his people he had espoused, by all the terrors of death, the flaming sword of justice, and the wrath of God; but, in the midst and view of all, stood unshaken and unmoved; see Isaiah 42:4. Even as a column or pillar is sometimes on thy right hand, and sometimes on thy left hand, because thou dost change thy standing, sitting or walking, for it is unmovable and keepeth one place; so God is sometimes favourable and bountiful unto thee, and sometimes seemeth to be wroth and angry with thee, because thou dost fall from virtue to vice, from obedience and humility to pride and presumption; for in the Lord there is no change, no, not so much as any shadow of change.

psalm 16:8 commentary

Chicken Coop Metal Frame, Cal Academy Nightlife, Nicoya Peninsula In North Western Costa Rica, Black Bean And Corn Salad Make Ahead, Ragnarok Eternal Love 3rd Job, Graphic Design Associate Degree Salary, Infinite Campus Kaukauna, Mullein Tea For Lungs, Sloan Band Albums, Thor 48'' Dual Fuel Range Reviews,